Henrico & New Kent Counties, VA
Branch Civil was the lead joint venture partner on the I-64 Widening Exit 200-205 Project, and construction along the 5-mile section in Henrico and New Kent counties began in August 2017.
The goals of this project were to create additional traffic capacity throughout a corridor of I-64 that has experienced a large number of vehicle collisions in the past and to increase visibility for VDOT traffic cameras throughout the project limits. Improvements included:
- A 12-foot wide travel lane and a 10-foot wide shoulder in both directions.
- Widened bridges over the Chickahominy River.
- Improved acceleration and deceleration lanes at the DMV weigh station.
- Box culvert extensions.
- Installation of an enclosed pedestrian tunnel between the eastbound and westbound DMV weigh stations.
- New sound mitigation walls.
- New MSE walls and moment slabs at a box culvert to allow inside widening.
- New ITS improvements throughout the corridor.
- Multiple new overhead signs throughout the project.
- New roadway safety lighting at both the eastbound and westbound DMV weigh stations.
Despite the extensive time impacts due to extreme inclement weather, this project was completed ahead of schedule and under budget in August 2019.